A lot can depend on a presentation, that’s why it's important to know how to create a professional PowerPoint. What should and shouldn't you do when creating a PowerPoint? Discover the tips below and become a true PowerPoint professional.
To come across as a knowledgeable PowerPoint professional, you need a good professional presentation. Use the following tips:
- All information on a slide should add value to your story and strengthen your message.
- Use a limited number of slides. Some slides may require more explanation than others, but try to keep the number of slides low.
- A picture is worth a thousand words.
- Use keywords when necessary.
- Use a larger font size so that everything on the slide is clearly visible to everyone.
- Maintain consistency in the presentation by using the same styles and colors on each slide.
- Make sure to have structure in your presentation. This means one topic/one message per slide.
- Use animations to explain a process, but ensure it doesn't distract from your message.
As a true PowerPoint professional, there are some points to keep in mind when working on a PowerPoint. What should you avoid?
- Don't overwhelm the audience with too much information at once by showing dozens of slides in a short amount of time.
- Don't fill a slide with too much text, as the audience will be reading the slides rather than listening to your story.
- Avoid complex charts and graphs. They may look interesting, but they should be understandable to everyone.
- Use high-resolution visual aids to ensure your message is clearly understood.
- Only add images that provide a valuable addition to your story, not just to make the presentation look more interesting.
Consider the colors used in the presentation. Blue represents strength and clarity, while red really stands out. Softer colors can make the message appear more ‘gentle’.